Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth or fresh homemade stock (add salt to taste)
- 8 oz. of Shiitake or Baby Bella mushrooms, washed, cleaned, and sliced thin
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1tsp white or cane sugar
- ¼ cup corn starch whisked into 1 cup of the chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground ginger root
- 1 tsp Hoy Fong chili garlic sauce
- 1tsp fine diced fresh garlic
- 3 whole eggs whisked in a bowl
- 5 whole green stick onions sliced thin on a bias
- ½ tsp roasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt and white pepper (add to taste)
Set aside 1 cup of the chicken broth for the corn starch slurry.
In a large pot, add the remaining chicken broth, mushrooms, onions, chili sauce soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and sugar. stir to combine and put over medium high heat until a simmer is reached.
Once a simmer is achieved, mix the corn starch into the cup of cold chicken broth until blended.
Stir in the corn starch slurry and mix well until the soup comes back to a high simmer.
Using a whisk, slowly pour the egg mixture over the whisk into the soup to form ribbons, slowly stir the eggs in and heat till a low simmer.
Stir in the sesame oil along with salt and white pepper to taste.
Garnish with fresh chopped scallions and serve hot. Add more rice vinegar if you want a more sour taste or more chili sauce if you like more heat.